Lire et faire lire program
The joy of reading shared by children and volunteer seniors.
Lire et faire lire is a true form of active citizenship! The association offers an intergenerational reading program through local branches across Quebec. The simplicity of the program is what makes it truly appealing. During the academic year, seniors volunteer to read to children in one of their local schools once a week. Each volunteer is assigned its own group of 2 to 5 preschool children, kindergarten children, 1st graders or 2nd graders (4 to 8 years of age).
The program’s mission can be summed up in one key word: ENJOYMENT. The enjoyment of having someone read you a story, of reading yourself, of sharing and creating a bond.
Lire et faire lire has two main objectives:
- Foster a love of books and reading in children
- Build intergenerational connections
Interested in being part of this fabulous adventure?
Becoming a Lire et faire lire volunteer reader is easy!
- Love children and reading
- Be 50 years of age or older
- Be available during the day, one hour per week for eight consecutive weeks (between September and May)
- Be able to make your way to the school in your area that is part of the program
- Be able to read in French
You will then be able to:
- Take part in an intergenerational activity focused on the joy of books and reading
- Share your love of books and reading
- Share and discuss with a small group of 2 to 5 children between the ages of 4 and 8, allowing them to benefit from your life experience
- Meet other interesting volunteer readers
You must register before Monday, August 27, 2018. The activity takes place between September 2018 and May 2019.
Selected volunteers will be contacted in August 2017.
Volunteer seniors: register at the Saint-Lazare Library where you will be assigned a school or daycare within the Saint-Lazare territory.
Schools and daycares within the Saint-Lazare territory: Do you wish to have volunteer seniors come to your classrooms to read to your students in French? Register at the Library.
In person at 1275 Du Bois Street, Saint-Lazare (QC) J7T 3B5
By phone at 450 424-8000, extension 212
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org